Matthew Hill, Assistant Instructor in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese
[4 years at UT]
1. Avoid driving to campus if at all possible — the traffic downtown is terrible.
2. Graduate school is actually a plot to keep people from sleeping for five years.
3. The Benson Latin American Collection library is the place to be. Where else in Texas can you find 16th-century Mexican manuscripts and over a million volumes just about Latin America?
4. Bureaucracy runs amok in public universities. It’s maddening.
5. Academic life is all about finding your niche. There are about 10,000 books written about the Quixote, but if you can find a new angle on it, you have a career.